Monday, February 24, 2020

Meandering Thoughts: Day 2 - Up, Up and Away

I've always found one-way flight tickets rather bittersweet. They mark the end of an era and the beginning of something new. And it doesn't matter how excited you are for the new destination and all that it is representative of.. there will always be a tinge of nervousness, a touch of sadness that finds its way through the cracks. Such journeys are like loaded question marks - what next? have I made the right decision? how will I manage without the comfort of the familiar? will the treasured relations I'm leaving behind last the test of time and distance?

But the journey of life goes on, as it should. We learn to not just cope with, but even flourish in new environs. Some of our "forevers" fade, thus making way for hitherto strangers who quickly and unexpectedly make a home in our hearts for good. Its just a gradual filtering mechanism.

That's the beauty of the human condition. We are more malleable than we give ourselves credit for - we adapt and adopt what we need to survive and thrive. This is what I try to remind myself every time I'm about to take a one-way flight to a new city, a new opportunity, or a new experience. More importantly, I know I'll regret it more if I don't make the journey. And just like that, a little bit of those fears get allayed and a tiny part of that sadness dissipates.

No comments: