Monday, February 24, 2020

Meandering Thoughts: Day 4 - Tuning In

Do you ever wish we had a background score in real life? I constantly feel like our daily drudgery could be made more fun and dramatic had that been the case. I feel like it has this capability of articulating thoughts and moods even when words fail us. Music is like a time machine, transporting us to a different time, enabling us to experience emotions that are not our own and yet feel like we are one with not just the singer, but also all the others who appreciate the same piece. So many differences like era, age, culture, language, fall away with this uniting force.

Live concerts have a sort of religious fervour - complete strangers coming together like a fast flung family, eyes welling up with tears at finally having seen your musical idols live after having sung along their creations like prayers.

I've had a long-standing love affair with music. I remember, as a child, mom used to switch on a radio program with old Hindi songs at 6AM to wake us up for school and we used to dance around the house while we got ready. This resulted in me subconsciously memorising songs created several decades even before I was born. A song of the '50s would begin playing and my parents would give me looks of disbelief as I would begin singing along without even realising.

At the peak of my music craze, my favourite band were The Beatles and the more I used to listen to their songs, the more I strongly believed that they had a song for every mood and even for when you didn't even understand what you were feeling. While I'm sure not everyone would agree with this assessment, I'm also sure everyone has a song associated with a mood, a person, an event.

The rough patch I had in school is encapsulated by You're Beautiful by James Blunt and She Will Be Loved by Maroon 5 - these songs just take me back to the days when life was simpler, yet it seemed like the world was crashing down on me. Everytime the song Lahore by Guru Randhawa plays, my mind immediately goes to that one friend who used to sing the only two lines he knew from the whole song with 100% gusto and 0% skill. I See Fire by Ed Sheeran and Firestone by Kygo remind me of the time I was falling in love but I didn't know it at the time.

Try as I might, I can't imagine life without music. It seems like a basic need to me. And I'm immeasurably indebted to it for enriching and enlightening me.

No comments: